How to start X as non root user without using display manager

C R McClenaghan chris at
Thu Sep 4 01:44:01 CEST 2008

I'm hoping to boot into a non privileged user to use the phone.
Does anyone know how to start X as a non root user without using a
display manager. My attempts to simply add --chuid <name|uid> option
to start-stop-daemon result in the error message - "X: user not
authorized to run the X server, aborting". If I login using a usb
keyboard an issue startxfce from the shell there isn't any problem.