Several stacks on one card

Sander van Grieken sander at 3v8.net
Thu Sep 4 10:11:07 CEST 2008

> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 5:04 PM,  <flamma at correo.ugr.es> wrote:
>> Hello, I am going to buy a new microSD card. I want to install Debian,
>> Qtopia and whatever other image appeals me.
>>
>> Is it possible to make a dual-boot in the card?
>>
>> Something like first a selecting if you boot the flash or the card, and
>> later wich partition in the card you boot.
>>
>> Have I explained me?
>
> Everything is explained on the wiki (partitionning, u-boot entries, ...)
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Booting_from_SD

I have created 2 ext2 partitions on the SD for both ASU and FSO, and modified the uboot
menu to boot their kernels directly from ext2 (so no need for a separate FAT partition).

Something I noticed is that these partitions have to be in the beginning of the SD card.
I wasn't able to boot from partitions starting at the 7GB mark.

This reminds me of the old BIOS limitations on PCs and I didn't expect that to be the
case on the freerunner :)

I don't know the exact bootable boundary, but with two partitions of 256M at the
beginning of the SD card I can boot into both ext2 filesystems.

Anyway, I used this u-boot menu on the NAND:

menu_1=
  Boot from microSD (FSO/partition 1):
  setenv bootargs
    ${bootargs_base} rootfstype=ext2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootdelay=5
    ${mtdparts} ro;
  mmcinit;
  ext2load mmc MMC_NUM:1 0x32000000 /boot/uImage;
  bootm 0x32000000

menu_2=
  Boot from microSD (OpenMoko/partition 2):
  setenv bootargs
    ${bootargs_base} rootfstype=ext2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootdelay=5
    ${mtdparts} ro;
  mmcinit;
  ext2load mmc MMC_NUM:2 0x32000000 /boot/uImage;
  bootm 0x32000000

Sander