Alpha 2 Release of Accelerometer-based Gestures, and Screen Orientation

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Thu Sep 4 17:53:01 CEST 2008

Hi again,

Am Donnerstag, den 04.09.2008, 17:31 +0200 schrieb Joachim Breitner:
> Am Donnerstag, den 14.08.2008, 19:01 +0200 schrieb Paul-Valentin Borza:
> > I'm proud to announce that the new release of accelerometer-based
> > gestures, and screen orientation is now available for download.
>
> I was about to package accelgel for Debian. I exported the latest svn,
> tried to generate a clean source tarball with
> $ autogen.sh && make dist
> and tried to use the resulting .tar.gz to build the package.
> Unfortunately, it seems that the generated tarball is not complete, for
> example it misses ./accelneo/include/accelneo.h
>
> Would you do me a favour and provide an “official” source tarball of
> your release, preferably one created by “make dist”? Then I’ll continue
> with packaging it.

While I’m at it, here are some packaging related suggestions:

 * Check for the existence of your dependencies in configure. E.g. I
could run configure without having libbluetooth2-dev installed, only to
have “make” fail.
 * Please install everything using automake, including configuration
etc. This avoids duplication and diversion between accelges_svn.bb, the
Debian packaging and other distros.
 * Do not install files with an ending “.sh” in the path. This is
against Debian policy, and ugly as well :-)
 * Do you really need the various -neo2.sh, -neo3.sh wrappers? Why not
have one wrapper that reads cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep Hardware?
 * You install the acceleration data into /etc in your bb recipe. This
is uncommon for binary data. If it’s data that is going to be modified
by programs while running, it should go to /var/lib. Or better, put
distributed files in /usr/share and create additional data in /var/lib.

I guess that’s quite a large list. But I think it’s what turn a private
project into a proper program.

BTW, what are you plans now that GSOC is over? Are you continuing the
development of accelges?

Greetings,
Joachim

--