GSoC OpenMoko Bluetooth remote controller - now with Gestures

Valerio Valerio vdv100 at
Thu Sep 4 19:28:45 CEST 2008

Hi Joachim,

2008/9/4 Joachim Breitner <nomeata at>

> Hi Valerio,
> Am Mittwoch, den 27.08.2008, 12:33 +0100 schrieb Valerio Valerio:
> > a ReMoko package with ability to send events through gestures (Paul's
> > daemon - is available now in:
> >
> I have had a look into packaging ReMoko for Debian. Here are some issues
> that you might want to look into, to make ReMoko easily packagable.
>  * The could be improved. Have a look at [1], how I did this
> for zhone's
>  * It would be great if you could provide "official" source tarballs of
> your release. helps you with the sdist command, but you need to
> tell it what files it should include. Again, you can have a look at how
> Jan Lübbe did that for zhone at [2].
>  * Your configuration module just looks for "settings.cfg", without
> specifying a path. Something like sys.env['HOME'] + "settings.cfg" might
> be more sensible.

The ReMoko version on the svn is my work version, I know that I have
relative path and also the is incomplete, and some other glitches
remain there. Until 16 Set I can't take a look on that :(
>  * The server source looks good, "make dist" produces a sensible
> tarball. You might want to change the product name and version number in
> though.

Thanks, I miss that one.

>  * What exactly is the server for? It seems it listens on a tcp socket
> for commands, which is connected by the UI to send the events over
> bluetooth. Why don't you bind to the IP address? Why don't you
> use dbus for that?

The server handles all the HID communications, is like a bridge for the
client UI, I use a unix socket because the BlueZ devs recommend it to me,
besides a dbus interface will be slower, because in the mouse profile I have
to send every small movement (pixel by pixel).
> I think it would be great to have a remoko Debian package, but there is
> some work left. Are you going to continue remoko development, now that
> GSoC is over?

Yes, I already made more code, but right now I don't have time and
concentration until I finish my last exam (16 Set)  :(

Thanks for the tips.
I will get in touch with you after 16 Set.

Best regards,

Valério Valério