Qtopia 3.33 Volume Too Low

Aaron Sowry aaron at aeneby.com
Fri Sep 5 10:27:34 CEST 2008

I assume you mean Qtopia 4.3.3...

However I've had the same problem. With the "Speaker Playback Volume" at
100 (that's default, and 79% of maximum) the volume is incredibly low,
low as in the person you're speaking to is indiscernible unless you're
in a perfectly quiet room and listening very carefully.

After setting the "Speaker Playback Volume" to 127 (100% of maximum) the
volume is acceptable for a quiet room but would be insufficient for even
a moderately noisy environment. The legendary buzz also increases to a
level just as loud as the voice itself. 2 questions:

1) Why is the default volume so god-awful low on Qtopia? And why, even
on maximum (although I realise the theoretical maximum might hinge on a
number of settings), is it still so low?

2) Is there *any* way to get rid of the GSM buzz permanently? I have
seen the whole 'PIN 4' explanation on the wiki, however basically what
that's saying is that it's a hardware fault which is unlikely to have a
viable resolution. I am at the point now where I would seriously
consider removing the audio jack completely if I knew it would get rid
of the buzz. Would this work?

Aaron