[2008.8][testing][kernel] image and modules not in sync?

vasco.nevoa at sapo.pt vasco.nevoa at sapo.pt
Fri Sep 5 16:24:34 CEST 2008

I've followed the discussion about dual booting, kernel packaging, and
kernel vs. distros, and the conclusion I reach is that the devs are
inclined to use (mostly-)monolithic kernels, leaving just the "extras"
out in the sysfs "modules" dir.
This is fine by me, but there seems to be a little mess here.
There are modules in the file system that are not loadable because
they are already built in.
This is not a good thing, because it induces the user in error - I
thought there was something wrong with the kernel or with the modules,
when the problem is just a question of cleaning up the repository &
filesystem images.
If the modules are built-in, they should not be present in the
filesystem, IMHO.
If a user follows the wiki howtos about networking, she may be trying
to modprobe bnep for example, and scratching her head because
"bluetooth" and "l2cap" won't load (let alone "bnep"). Only after
grepping /proc/kallsyms I understood these modules where already
built-in. duh! total time loss.
So please clean up a little, ok? At least the fs images on the
downloads server should be consistent with the given kernel. If an
update breaks things, that another issue entirely.
Thank you! Keep up the good work.