How to start X as non root user without using display manager

TeXitoi texitoi at texitoi.homelinux.org
Fri Sep 5 19:03:02 CEST 2008

C R McClenaghan <chris at mcclenaghan.com> writes:

> I'm hoping to boot into a non privileged user to use the phone.
> Does anyone know how to start X as a non root user without using a
> display manager. My attempts to simply add --chuid <name|uid> option
> to start-stop-daemon result in the error message - "X: user not
> authorized to run the X server, aborting". If I login using a usb
> keyboard an issue startxfce from the shell there isn't any problem.

to start X without owning the console, see /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config

> Thoughts?

Personnally, on debian, I use that in /etc/inittab :

2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L -n -l /usr/local/sbin/autologin 38400 tty2

and autologin :
#!/bin/sh
exec su -l user -c startx -- vt4

Thanks to getty in inittab, the console is owned by the launcher, and
/etc/X11/Xwrapper.config do not nead to be touched.

to customise your xsession, just customise .xsession.

--
Guillaume Pinot                  http://www.irccyn.ec-nantes.fr/~pinot/

``Computers are good at following instructions, but not at reading your
mind.'' -- Donald E. Knuth, the TeXbook

()  ASCII ribbon campaign      -- Against HTML e-mail
/\  http://www.asciiribbon.org -- Against proprietary attachments