WLAN with WPA

Katrin Tomanek katrin.tomanek at gmx.de
Sat Sep 6 12:24:10 CEST 2008

Hi,

I can't manage to connect to a WPA-encrypted WLAN with my FR. I read all the
wiki-stuff, googled for it and checked most of the mailing list threads --
but all this didn't help. Hope you guys can give me a hint...

So, I use the following (simple) wpa_supplicant.conf:

------- snip -------
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1

network={
	ssid="red"
	psk=8fa68651275b12accb0982db01cfd78cfb6f4a5d6d3b9a31735ce8aad2271be7
}

-- snap ---

It works perfectly on my laptop (Ubuntu, Hardy Heron).

However, on my FR authentification doesn't work.

This is how I run the wpa_supplicant:
 wpa_supplicant -i eth0 -D wext -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

I get the following output:

----- snip ----
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Operation not supported
CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
Trying to associate with 00:1c:4a:a3:b4:3e (SSID='red' freq=2437 MHz)
Authentication with 00:1c:4a:a3:b4:3e timed out.
	CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
Trying to associate with 00:1c:4a:a3:b4:3e (SSID='red' freq=2437 MHz)
[repeats the last 3 lines in an endless loop]
---- snap ---

I also checked the debugging output of the wpa_supplicant. As I am not
familiar with wpa_supplicant its hard for me to interpret. But I saw that my
ssid got blacklisted (and after several tries got removed from the blacklist
again) -- maybe this is normal. If necessary, I might also send the
debugging output (however, as it's rather longish I skip it for the moment).

Would be great if anybody had an idea what to do here...

Katrin