GSoC OpenMoko Bluetooth remote controller - now with Gestures

Valerio Valerio vdv100 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 22:46:54 CEST 2008

Hi Joachim,

2008/9/6 Joachim Breitner <nomeata at debian.org>

> Hi,
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 04.09.2008, 18:28 +0100 schrieb Valerio Valerio:
>
> > 2008/9/4 Joachim Breitner <nomeata at debian.org>
> >          * What exactly is the server for? It seems it listens on a
> >         tcp socket
> >         for commands, which is connected by the UI to send the events
> >         over
> >         bluetooth. Why don't you bind to the 127.0.0.1 IP address? Why
> >         don't you
> >         use dbus for that?
> > The server handles all the HID communications, is like a bridge for
> > the client UI, I use a unix socket because the BlueZ devs recommend it
> > to me, besides a dbus interface will be slower, because in the mouse
> > profile I have to send every small movement (pixel by pixel).
>
> Ok, I got your program working (a bit, Debian users see [1]), and now I
> understand what you need the remoko-server for: It's not something that
> runs permanently, or as a system daemon, but it's a helper that you run
> to do stuff you can't do in python, right?

 It runs permanently, the server is responsible for send all the keys to the
remote device, in the future it will be like a daemon (I hope in BlueZ) .

> To avoid having different packages for that, and possibly opening
> security holes by using TCP, I'd recommend to pack that functionality in
> a C file and include that in your python process using cython. This is
> what the zhone developers did to do some stuff that python can't
> (modifying X window atoms).
>
> > Yes, I already made more code, but right now I don't have time and
> > concentration until I finish my last exam (16 Set)  :(
>
> Is this code in the subversion? If not, you run the risk that other
> people will start to hack on the older, published code which will cause
> troubles when merging.

 All the code is in the SVN, but was I said, I have a incomplete setup.py
and two static path in remoko_conf and remoko_server :)

Thanks for your work and suggestions.

Best regards,

--
Valério Valério