GSoC OpenMoko Bluetooth remote controller - now with Gestures

Valerio Valerio vdv100 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 12:39:22 CEST 2008

Hi,

2008/9/7 Joachim Breitner <nomeata at debian.org>

> Hi,
>
> Am Samstag, den 06.09.2008, 21:46 +0100 schrieb Valerio Valerio:
>
> > 2008/9/6 Joachim Breitner <nomeata at debian.org>
> >         Ok, I got your program working (a bit, Debian users see [1]),
> >         and now I
> >         understand what you need the remoko-server for: It's not
> >         something that
> >         runs permanently, or as a system daemon, but it's a helper
> >         that you run
> >         to do stuff you can't do in python, right?
> >  It runs permanently, the server is responsible for send all the keys
> > to the remote device, in the future it will be like a daemon (I hope
> > in BlueZ) .
>
> But at the moment, you start it from remoko, and you kill it in remoko.
> What would the advantage be if remoko-server runs permanently?
>
> If you really need a server, then please make it listen on a unix socket
> (e.g. in /var/run) so that unix file permissions can control access
> (plus it's slightly faster).

I will improve that when have more time.

> >         Is this code in the subversion? If not, you run the risk that
> >         other
> >         people will start to hack on the older, published code which
> >         will cause
> >         troubles when merging.
> >
> > All the code is in the SVN, but was I said, I have a incomplete
> > setup.py and two static path in remoko_conf and remoko_server :)
>
> Ok, I worked around these in
> http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-fso/remoko.git;a=summary (it's svn-git
> based, my changes are in the debian branch).
>

> > About the error that you say that make the application crash, can you
> > give me details on it ?
>
> I didn't check really yet, but if it's something that's not caused by
> me, I'll let you know :-)
>
> > The enlightment errors in the keyboard are probably because you don't
> > have the last E packages, raster developed the keyboard pop up method
> > (that I'm using) in middle of august.
>
> Hmm, it would be good if remoko works with other window managers as
> well, so it should handle it gracefully if this extension is not
> present. Maybe I'll have a patch for that too, later.

This extension is responsible for pop-up the vkb, so if you are using Om
2008.8 the qtopia keyboard will appear, in FSO the E keyboard appear and so
on, the extension pop-up any vkb present in the system, if you don't have a
vkb the program don't crash but you can't configure keys or use the keyboard
profile. You have a better suggestion for that ?

Best regards,

--
Valério Valério

http://www.valeriovalerio.org