Why qtopia uses framebuffer and ASU can't?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Mon Sep 8 10:06:45 CEST 2008

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 06:49:39 +0000 prishelec at gmail.com babbled:

> Raster, thank you for explanation!
> If I get it right there is no difference in speed between qtopia and
> other distros related to graphics.
> And just for education - what 'misnoma' means?

as such they go through the same hardware - x is just a way to get to the
hardware. often x apps/toolkits are very bad at using it. the x11 port of
qtopia isnt great - its really raw and performance is poor. this is a qt
problem, not x11 problem. x11 gets blames so often for problems nothing to do
with x11 but entirely to do with the bad programming done using it and lack of
knowledge of x11 its internals or graphics hardware or routines. i am standing
up for x because it is blamed for stuff that have nothing to do with it.

oops. i mean misnomer. :) i am using misnomer for the fact that everyone runs
around going "running in the framebuffer is so much faster" taking fb drawing
as obviously faster and something desirable you must do for speed. so as such i
used it correctly - just misspelt.