A little zenity-gui for flashing images to the neo

Dale Maggee antisol at internode.on.net
Tue Sep 9 03:22:45 CEST 2008

Minh Ha Duong wrote:
> Hi,
> According to this mail:
>   http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/devel/2008-September/001726.html
> the boot image is flasheable too, and the next upgrade will upgrade it.
> Does this look like something that zenity-gui could do ?
Yes, it is. I'll update the script sometime soon and re-post it.
> I can't find a  zenity  page on the wiki, do you want me to start one ?
I don't really think this is appropriate - zenity is the tool which
allows me to use gtk dialog boxes from within a shell script, it doesn't
really have anything to do with openmoko or the FreeRunner. More info at

if you're talking about adding this script to the wiki, then yes, it
should be in the wiki, but it would more properly belong in [2]

The reason I haven't wikified it yet is that I'm not finished playing
with it. here are my plans:
- making use of the 'which' command to locate dfu-util as suggested by
david samblas
- checking that it's being run as root
- add support for flashing 'splash'

slightly longer-term:
- use dialog instead of zenity (all text output for more consistent
look, faster, more flexible)
- use a settings file to save the location of dfu-util
- I've also written a script to backup the freerunner using this method
[3]. I'm planning on integrating these two scripts into a nice
menu-driven "uberscript" for both backup and flashing

[1] http://www.linuxmanpages.com/man1/zenity.1.php
[2] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Flashing_the_Neo_FreeRunner