Trouble Building Kernel

shawnzier at gmail.com shawnzier at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 15:52:28 CEST 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 07:18:36PM +0800, Andy Green wrote:

> | On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 03:38:41PM +0800, Andy Green wrote: Somebody
> | in the thread at some point said: | I wanted to build a kernel to get
> | some drivers as modules instead of built-in. I followed | |
> | http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Toolchain
> |
> | | + BRANCH='(no'
> |
> | There doesn't seem to be an active branch in git?  Try making one
> | active.
> |> OK. That worked. I've built the kernel with no errors. Now how do I
> |> build the modules? I would have to copy these to the freerunner
> |> before flashing the new kernel, from what I understand.
>
> The modules are all built already as part of the process, but you need
> to meddle around with make modules_install to get them marshalled
> somewhere and scp them across.  Or tar them and pipe them into untar via
> ssh or somesuch.
Yeah. I tried this using the SYSROOT environment variable, but I think the versioning is messed up. I'll try to figure out what I did wrong and I'll post back to the list when I find an answer. I think what might have happened is I used the build script and tried to do the make modules_install part in another shell. Since you're setting temporary environment variables in the build script, this probably wouldn't work. Stupid rookie mistake.

> If you use the defconfig-2.6.24 .config then all the critical drivers
> for normal use (ethernet over USB, bt, sound, etc) are already in the
> monolithic kernel.
Yeah. I'm not trying to make things difficult for myself. I just wanted g_ether as a module so I could use the freerunner as a usb flash drive, which requires removing the g_ether module.

>Using the build script means you won't get old
> modules from another kernel confused with modules usable on this kernel
> either because the /lib/modules path is unique by git head hash.  So you
> can typically run a rootfs just with the monolithic kernel from that
> build even DFU'd in.
>
> If you routinely want the full module set, you can build using OE recipe
> to make OE package... but don't ask me how to do it :-)
Yeah. I think I've already taken up enough of your time with dumb questions. I'd rather you spend it writing kernel patches.