distro nightmares ... can fdom help?
Franky Van Liedekerke
liedekef at telenet.be
Thu Sep 11 15:44:55 CEST 2008
(to be fare: I compare with my 4 years old sony ericsson P900 phone, and
that one wins without problems for now)
(Warning: no ranting please, I'm just summing up all current bugs I
encounter and hope to get some pointers for fixes)
For the moment I seem to be unable to find a distro where the basics work
without issues (and I flashed/upgraded/installed already a number of times):
- booting time: 2/3 minutes for asu. I can accept this for a beta
functioning device, but I hope this gets better in the future. Yes, I know
the wiki page for this ... luckely I don't reboot py phone too often
- receive calls: calls arrive double on qtopia distro (not asu, no no sim
card issue here), so for each call I end up having a missed call entry as
well. Very annoying.
- speaker: qtopia emits a very loud tone when on speaker
- echo: the asu distro doesn't have the echo fix yet
- choose a ringtone: ok, I can replace the wav file, but come on, no app
available at all for asu?
- alarm: I use my cell phone for wake-up calls, but ASU isn't reliable to
give me the alarm. The phone unsuspends on time, but the alarm doesn't
sound, or an undetermined amount of minutes too late. This seems to be the
only phone in the world with this problem...
- prevent the copying of sim-card contacts to your phone (qtopia and asu).
Ok, I can remove them from the sim, or change the sqlite db on te phone, but
this is a basic setting on any phone.
- remove all contacts from the phone (qtopia and asu). Again I can just
clean up the sqlite db file here, but a simple sql script executed by a gui
would be nice.
- mplayer: plays mp3 just fine, but qtopia or asu media players are unable
to play back one mp3 fine without hickups or distortion (distortion can be
fixed by editing the mp3 and decreasing the volume by 20dB). Is this
gstreamer bogging down the phone or just bad mp3 decoding?
- wifi: why on earth isn't wifi taking the nameservers given by dhcp? Is it
the resolvconf issue that needs fixing here? Even my old archos 430 did that
just fine from the beginning. Now I needed the usb0 connection working just
to be able to get the wifi working, since no terminal app is installed by
default on the phone. I did use the resolvconf wiki page to help me out
here, but no dice for encrypted networks. Mofi maybe?
- speed: asu reaction time is just too slow. Qtopia is reasonable here.
- bluetooth: no app on asu, and the qtopia-x11 bluetooth app doesn't do
I haven't even tried image viewing yet, or gps ... I would have thought to
be able to iron out bugs and such, but I was expecting basic working
functionality. For now I have my freerunner lying on my desk at home, doing
nothing at all ...
Does the fdom version of ASU addresses some of the "plain" asu issues? Or
any help solving some of these? I *really* want to show off my freerunner
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the community