distro nightmares ... can fdom help?

Franky Van Liedekerke liedekef at telenet.be
Thu Sep 11 18:39:00 CEST 2008

Hi David,

tx for your answers already. I'll update again now to test the alarm
functionality. The rest: see inline.

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 18:01:17 +0200
David Samblas <dsamblasomcommunity at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> > - prevent the copying of sim-card contacts to your phone (qtopia and
> > asu). Ok, I can remove them from the sim, or change the sqlite db on
> > te phone, but this is a basic setting on any phone.
> > - remove all contacts from the phone (qtopia and asu). Again I can
> > just clean up the sqlite db file here, but a simple sql script
> > executed by a gui would be nice.
> I was able to delete the contacts and messages directly from the apps
> on the phone without the sim card, and no need to access the sqlite
> db.

are you using the contact app for this?

> > - mplayer: plays mp3 just fine, but qtopia or asu media players are
> > unable to play back one mp3 fine without hickups or distortion
> > (distortion can be fixed by editing the mp3 and decreasing the
> > volume by 20dB). Is this gstreamer bogging down the phone or just
> > bad mp3 decoding?
> I don't know, but I was thinking about do a basic frontend to mplayer
> like the omview to replace the media player, a file filebrowser and a
> basic control trough mouse gestures in the touch screen, but no find
> time yet to get my hands dirty on this

Is kino2 a possibility as mplayer frontend?

> > - wifi: why on earth isn't wifi taking the nameservers given by
> > dhcp? Is it the resolvconf issue that needs fixing here? Even my
> > old archos 430 did that just fine from the beginning. Now I needed
> > the usb0 connection working just to be able to get the wifi
> > working, since no terminal app is installed by default on the
> > phone. I did use the resolvconf wiki page to help me out here, but
> > no dice for encrypted networks. Mofi maybe?
> Both a terminal and Mofi are included on FDOM, but is courios, I have
> to not to conect to usb before I want the wifi to make it work :)

I did need usb0 to set my /etc/resolv.conf file correct ... maybe that
got fixed as well?

> > - bluetooth: no app on asu, and the qtopia-x11 bluetooth app doesn't
> > do anything.
> Remoko is tested an will be included in the next version of FSDOM it
> works through bluethooth, so don't loos you hope yet :)

tx, I'll check out remoko also.

> Fat and Dirty Openmoko is nothing more than a 2008.8-update with apps
> installed and some fixes maybe it can fit you needs or not only you
> can anwer that question, try it and if you are happy/unhappy please
> let me know, I will be glad if you can send me and exhaustive
> bug/improvements list as you have done with other distributions.

nope, totally happy with your answers. Tx!

Franky