Swype - Jaw dropping fast and accurate entry of text via touch screen [w/video]

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Fri Sep 12 14:42:31 CEST 2008

On 11 Sep 2008, at 14:17, Kostis Anagnostopoulos wrote:

> On Thu 11 Sep 2008 01:31:27 Didier Raboud wrote:
>> nickd wrote:
>> Take a look at the other method previously pointed by Dan :
>> http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/dasher/
>>
>> It's GPL...
>
> I don't like Dasher because it introduces uncontrolled "waiting
> states",
> in order for the target letter to reach the center.

Surely the "waiting state" is controlled - by moving the cursor to
the right (I imagine tilting the Freerunner) the stream of letters
speeds up.

> On Dasher's site they make a comparison with car-driving.
> I think that if we were given the chance,
> we would preffere a click-to-destination instead of a steering-
> wheel car-UI.

At some point analogies always break - probably as soon as you start
using them to expand outside anything that the original analogiser
had in mind. ;)

The destination is the completed sentence of words. It is held
initially inside your mind, and it is impossible to give the target
device this "destination" without any intervening steps. Just as we
don't yet have autonomous automobiles, either, a "steering-wheel" (or
some other control device) is clearly necessary to get the words out
of your head & into the device.

Stroller.