happy with debian

Katrin Tomanek katrin.tomanek at gmx.de
Sun Sep 14 10:56:33 CEST 2008

Hi,

I successfully installed debian on my FR. I was very happy to see that
debian is easy to install and telephony works out of the box.

The only problem I had during installation: When I chose ext2 as the
filesystem for the boot-partition (as preconfigured in the install-script)
my FR wouldn't boot the kernel (although I am quite sure I made the correct
entries in uboot). I assume the issue here was that the kernel doesn't have
ext2-moduled compiled in so that it could boot from it (I think I saw a note
on this somewhere in the wiki). However, when chosing fat instead of ext2
for the boot partition everything went well.

Then I installed XFCE. I was suprised how smooth it works and how well it is
usable on FR's small display. So, debian on my FR is probably the best
experience I had with my FR so far :-) Many thanks to the debian-FR team --
great job!

Still, I got two questions:

* what about the GPS? I saw there's wiki entry saying I should install
fso-gpsd and gpsd... but then, how to make the gps work? When I try to start
gpsd with "/etc/init.d/gpsd start" it just says
"Not starting GPS (Global Positioning System) daemon: gpsd."
So, any hints whats going wrong here?

* I realized I'll need a larger micro SD card :-) Is there a specific one
you can recommend (should be available in Germany). I am thinking about a 8
GB one...

Katrin