distribution choice

Kevin Dixon kevin.c.dixon at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 20:41:20 CEST 2008

Hi all,

My company is planning to roll out a suite of applications to be ran on the
openmoko/freerunner platform.

I'm researching which distribution would be best for our needs. We are not
so concerned with the current state of available applications, since we will
be writing out own.

So here are a few questions that hopefully you guys can field:

We are debating between Om 2007.2 and Om 2008.8.

Which release is more stable? 2007.2 or 2008.8, in regards to the
Freerunner.

Is Java a viable choice to implement a suite of applications on this
hardware? What is the state of the JVM? Are there restrictions, e.g.
accessing the Accelerometer or other hardware?

If we do not target Java, what API/framework should we target? I suspect for
2008.8 and future development, it would be Qt?

Thanks!

-Kevin Dixon