distribution choice

Warren Baird photogeekmtl at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 21:44:25 CEST 2008

Hi Kevin,

In terms of java support, I've experimented using a large and quite
complicated commercial java application on my freerunner, and it ran
surprisingly well - there were a few problems in some encryption code, but
the rest was pretty good.

However, the performance was not fantastic.   The jalimo (jvm) docs say that
performance is very bad for swing/awt apps, and this app made heavy use of
both.

I'd guess that if you use one of the GUI frameworks recommended by the
jalimo people, it'd be ok.

My understanding though is that a lot of people develop apps for the OM in
python using pygtk.   I haven't tried that yet myself, but it looks pretty
easy and powerful.

Good luck!

Warren