Java FX, any news?

Kostis Anagnostopoulos ankostis at
Tue Sep 16 12:38:22 CEST 2008

On Tue 16 Sep 2008 10:45:58 Philipp Aeberli wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I was going through some of my bookmarks and stumbled over the Java FX
> announcement in May this year:
> There is even a Java FX Mobile dedicated to mobile devices:
> Does anyone now if somebody is pursuing this ????

Hi Philipp,

I have attempted some experiments with JavaFX.

I'm using Debian with CacaoVM implementing JSE 1.5,
and i tried the SDK preview samples "Stopwatch", "ImageRollover"
and "Madness".
Here are the results so far:

* "Stopwatch" run but was deadly slow!
It may be that it requires floating-point maths for the clock-pointers.

* "ImageRollover" (just a close-button) starts slow but is perfectly

* "Madness" segfaulted CacaoVM with a "unable to find a Java method" message.
Attempts with others progs have also end-up with CacaoVM segfaults.

Tried also JamVM but classpath-classes didn't implement
Window.isLocationByPlatform() method so JavaFX aborts.

Hope the above info helps.

PS: These attempts are the precursory steps of evaluating the possibility of
an ala "Tichy" FSO-based JavaFX+OSGi software for OpenMoko devices.
Any feedback appreciated.