FSO/ASU not registering on the Australian Vodafone GSM network

Sarton O'Brien roguemoko at roguewrt.org
Wed Sep 17 05:06:43 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 17 September 2008 12:48:05 W.Kenworthy wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 12:37 +1000, Sarton O'Brien wrote:
> > On Tuesday 16 September 2008 19:22:59 Dale Maggee wrote:
> > > I'm on the Aussie Vodafone network, using an old sim card I've had for
> > > *many* years (it's red and labelled "sim^2" [i.e sim squared]), and
> > > FSO3 works fine for me, although sometimes it takes a little while to
> > > prompt for my PIN. as for ASU I can't be sure - the last time I tested
> > > it it registered, but again took a while, but It only lasted maybe 2
> > > reboots before it got reverted back to 2007.2 again.
> >
> > I own a gta02v5.
> >
> > I'm on Vodafone too, newer card, Vodafone logo with 'if found call' blah
> > blah.
> >
> > Never had a problem.
> >
> > I triboot qtopia (updated against testing), om2008 (updated against
> > testing) and FSO milestone 3 (not sure where to update - tried testing :)
> > and all do what I'd expect.
> >
> > I have a pin set.
> >
> > Sorry, not much I can offer. One thought comes to mind though, out of all
> > the providers I've had, Vodafone seems to have the lowest signal
> > strength. I used to think it was my ipaq but it is the same with the FR.
> > Maybe 2007 is driving it harder? That's about all I can think of.
> >

> I set a pin but it only asked for it once(still no connection), and
> never again.  I deleted 2007.2 so cant test it with that anymore, howver
> everything works as expected on my Treo.

Hmmm, hence why I suggest the antenna power output/sensitivity.

I'm sure you've thought of this ... but have you tried another sim? Have a
friend on telstra, a coworker on optus?

Even if the sim is fine it will help eliminate carrier signal strength.

Oh and as we are all supposedly enforcing mailling list rules now, please
don't top post. Well done on the subject btw ;)

Sarton