Qtopia and VOIP

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 17 13:52:13 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 17 September 2008, Marco Trevisan (Treviño) wrote:
> Al Johnson wrote:
> > On Tuesday 16 September 2008, Nicola Mfb wrote:
> >> openmoko at asyring.homeip.net> wrote:
> >> What a pity!, it would be nice to have gsm/voip dialer integrated in the
> >> same application.
> >> Thanks Alex for the information, src/html tree should be cleaned :)
> >> Are there other voip clients suitable for the freerunner? (for x11 too?)
> >
> > I've used the CLI version of linphone, but the GUI should be small enough
> > to fit in 480x640 too.
>
> Well, the 2.1.1 version of linphone works quite well (after editing a
> little the code) [1],

That's great, partly for reasons I'll get to below. I'll scratch this from my
todo list then :-) What changes did you need to make? And do youhave a
bitbake recipe in OpenEmbedded yet?

> however the problem is another: we miss the alsa
> states needed to use the phone speaker as default output device and the
> microphone as a capture device.
> This night I've played a lot with this software but I wasn't able to use
> it as a standard phone... :|

The alsa state was relatively simple to set up - so much so that I don't think
I saved it. There has been at least one state file for voip posted to the
list though, and I think there is one in FSO milestone 3.

The bit that caused problems was the audio interface. I was using 2007.2 so I
killed pulseaudio to start with. The default alsa interface uses dmix, and
linphone complained that this didn't allow a duplex connection. I could hear
things on the Neo, but the other end couldn't hear me. I changed
the .linphonerc to use OSS for the mic instead of alsa:

[sound]
playback_dev_id=ALSA: default device
ringer_dev_id=ALSA: default device
capture_dev_id=OSS: /dev/dsp

This gave me a fully functional CLI linphone, except for needing to switch
state files to get the ring on the speaker and the call in the earpiece. Echo
was present as expected, and I didn't try enabling linphone's echo
cancellation. If anyone knows how to get alsa to work full-duplex I would
like to know!

The reason I'm glad you've got >=1.7 running is that hooks for external
control of linphone were included in that version. I've seen this working in
yeaphone [2] and the code seemed fairly simple. If this is available in the
GUI version it may give us a way to quickly add alsa state changing. It also
gives us a relatively easy way to use linphone as a SIP backend for the FSO
telephony interface.

[2] http://www.devbase.at/voip/yeaphone.php