(Some?) 3G support for Linux from Nokia - relevant for future models?

Mikko Rauhala mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi
Wed Sep 17 14:38:50 CEST 2008

Bumped into the following:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/2008/09/17/dr-ari-jaaksi-on-maemo-5/

Relevantly "Nokia is now Gold Sponsor of Linux Foundation, has
contributed code today for 3G/HSPA cellular (data) connectivity for
OMAP3 to Linux kernel"

I would interpret this as there being a free driver solution for 3G
handset suitable chipsets now available, though perhaps I am missing
some details? Good for 04 (you know, whenever) getting UMTS, one might
hope?

Personally I'll be loathe to buy Nokia products anyway, they're just way
too inconsistent with their policies and have no commitment to free
software whatsoever. But, if something good comes out of them, that's,
well, "good".

--
Mikko Rauhala <mjrauhal at cs.helsinki.fi>
University of Helsinki, Department of Computer Science