fso bug/oddity

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Wed Sep 17 16:44:14 CEST 2008

Tilman Baumann wrote:
>> dbus is getting flodded by org.freedesktop.Gypsy.Time.TimeChanged,
>> org.freedesktop.Gypsy.Satellite.SatellitesChanged and
>> org.freedesktop.Gypsy.Time.TimeChanged signals.
>> But GPS is off.
>> I think neither of the events makes sense in this case and wastes cycles.
>> Probably not good for battery life.
> I just had a look at the fso apis again. And i almost fell of my chair.
> I just found org.freesmartphone.Device.RealtimeClock
> What is wrong with gettimeofday anc co with all it's beauty? Who wants
> time via dbus?
> I hope this is just some over enthusiastic proof of concept. *g*

I just realized the difference between system time and realtime clock.
But there is still a well established interface for that too. It's
called hwclock and /dev/rtc.

And for the wakeup stuff. Well besides at there is not much of a stable
interface i guess, besides some acpi and nvram cruft.
I guess a dbus interface suits well for that. But needs to be more
abstract (register timer for callback/signal, remove timer). :)
But somehow i can't get the at command out of my head...