fso bug/oddity

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Wed Sep 17 19:44:31 CEST 2008

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:

>> I see fso walking a fine line between genius and insanity. :)
> Agreed. But you'll never know on which part you walk unless you start moving.
> That's what we're doing atm.
> Please help us to stay on the genius' path ;)

At the moment i'm just observing the show. My time management for
private projects is currently just horrible. I always feel bad talking
about doing great stuff and never doing it. :)

>> settingsd vs. gconf would be one of these cases. I just refused to
>> really think about it yet, so i don't really know how much sense it
>> makes. I think i would not like the outcome... (gconf is horrible, but
>> it was there long enough to be considered a standard...)
> Hmm, that doesn't count for me as a stopsign. First, gconf is already
> deprecated by the "powers" (with dconf being the dbus-based successor they
> work on),

O i did not notice. But i guess the api and namespaces will stay?

> 2nd being a "standard" doesn't necessarily mean it should stay
> there forever unquestioned.

Certainly not. But i see the influence from the desktop to the phone as
more important and fruitful as the other way around. (For being in the
position to change the world)

>> pimd vs. eds the same...
> Again, lets first concentrate on sane APIs (which is what the GSoc'08 project
> did) and then check whether any of the existing solutions fit our needs.

Right. Full steam ahead!