(Some?) 3G support for Linux from Nokia - relevant for future models?

Lorn Potter lpotter at trolltech.com
Thu Sep 18 01:14:56 CEST 2008

Marcus Bauer wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 05:45 +1000, Lorn Potter wrote:
>> I would beg to differ. Trolltech is now part of Nokia, Qt and Qtopia
>> certainly are open source and I can tell you for certain, we are
>> committed to keeping them open source.
> I wonder what your plans are for the phone stack? I doubt that you are
> going FSO? At least to me this is a big horror as is much of the
> Openmoko software development. It is just not clear what the other open
> source players are doing? The single most important piece is the gsmd
> with muxing capabilities and some kind of stable API. Next important
> part is the power management.
> Can you publically talk about where you are going?

Qtopia does not use gsmd, but has it's own gsm classes. Qtopia has 95% the needed parts for a
workable phone. It has power management classes, as well. But the stableness and reliability of them
depend on the underlying system to function properly.

Lorn 'ljp' Potter
Software Engineer, Systems Group, Trolltech, a Nokia company