Idea for Openmoko application: Tide updates

Matt matt.joyce.lists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 05:29:16 CEST 2008

> I'm thinking we need to make a generic expandable water proof (or at
> least harsh conditions proof) case for the FR.
>
> For rapid prototyping, the very best interface would be USB. Future
> applications might tie in at a more intimate level. At least for the
> sensors mentioned so far the data rate is slow enough that our USB could
> easily handle it.
>
> I'm envisioning something that looks like a Pelican case, one of the
> smaller ones, with the guts of a FreeRunner and room for additional
> hardware, perhaps an Arduino board, extra sensors, and an extra battery,
> but still handheld.
>
> Some Pelican cases have a clear cover.
>
> I've wondered if there exist waterproof button activators that transmit
> force via a magnet, like magnetic stirrers or pumps, so that there is no
> hole in the case, no gaskets, and no place to leak (assuming the
> original case is waterproof in the first place). Anyone know of such a
> thing?

I would have though the marine industry would have had prior need for
water/salt resistant cases and switches, that's where I would look.

I know Jaycar [1] in Australia do have some project boxes which have a
screw on lid, with a rubber seal.  I used one for a weather project,
worked fine.

[1] http://www.jaycar.com.au