help compiling gnu chess game, project with subfolders

Nicolas LAURANCE nlaurance at
Fri Sep 19 11:25:56 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I'm having my first try at compiling programs for the FR.
I've a python background mostly, and I'm not familiar at compiling stuff
beyond the configure make make install routine.

I've been following instructions at

and managed to get gnuchess running on the FR. If anyone wants the ipk
file, just let me know. It plays its turns in a few seconds, so largely

but it only plays on the command line

so I tried another project, xboard (
in this project files are organized somewhat differently, moreover there
are subdirs like pixmaps, bitmaps, and sounds.

my question is, how can I compile such a project ?

I think this is a generic question, and I'm willing to complete the wiki
once I find a solution.