expected write speed on microSD

Nicolas Chauvat nicolas.chauvat at logilab.fr
Fri Sep 19 13:20:01 CEST 2008

Hi List,

Sorry if this is a FAQ, but I searched the archives and the wiki for
"site:lists.openmoko.org microsd write [speed|slow]" and got no
answer.

I am using the stock FreeRunner that I received a few weeks ago,
without any modification this far. The SD card is the one that was in
the box.

I have no problem when doing an scp of a new rootfs image to, say,
/var/volatile/log which is a tmpfs, but untarring the system image to
/dev/mmcblk0p2 or scp-ing the image directly to the same place is
extremely slow. It gets as slow as 5 K per second. Writing ~50M takes
hours.

Is write speed to the microSD card a known issue? What throughput do others
usually get when writing to the SD card ? Any suggestion on the best
tool/way to investigate what may going wrong ?

Thanks in advance,

--
Nicolas Chauvat