accelerometer jitter

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Sun Sep 21 05:59:43 CEST 2008

Thanks - I was just reading through
http://www.freescale.com/files/sensors/doc/app_note/AN3107.pdf about tilt
measurements, which is linked from the wiki. (I'd missed it before)  The
one you linked is mostly about position calculations, double integration of
the acceleration data, although it discusses noise and some management
thereof. (which is much more important with the double-integral)

In this usage, any decrease on one axis should be accompanied by a matching
increase on a second axis, since I'm dealing specifically with vertical or
horizontal orientations. The third axis only becomes significant in the
"lying flat, face up" scenario, where decreases in 'z' will have matching
increases in 'x+y' - noisier summing them, but probably workable. (since
the common use-cases wouldn't demand as frequent updates) Which is actually
the one that got me thinking about this in the first place - I was leveling
my clothes washer and while looking for one of my levels my eyes drifted
toward the Freerunner, and my brain said "hmmmmmmmmm - if I just laid it on
top..."

Which doesn't even consider the second sensor - I'm just looking at the one
with all three axes aligned with the housing, not the one rotated 45
degrees about the Z-axis.  Utilizing both would let me be more certain of
small orientation changes. (I'm assuming noise isn't induced from outside,
and so they wouldn't be in sync)  This is turning out more calculationally
involved than I'd first anticipated, but still looks workable.

http://www.freescale.com/files/sensors/doc/app_note/AN3397.pdf?fpsp=1&WT_TYPE=Application%20Notes&WT_VENDOR=FREESCALE&WT_FILE_FORMAT=pdf&WT_ASSET=Documentation