2008.9 Basic questions

Fox Mulder Quakeman1 at gmx.net
Sun Sep 21 11:58:48 CEST 2008

I also experienced the problem that the FR slowes down to a point where
it freezes when the memory consumption goes to the limit of the internal
ram. And this happenes quite often when using many programs.

To solve this problem i created a swap file with 64MB on my sd-card
(vfat, but this shouldn't matter) and added it to the fstab like this:

/dev/mmcblk0p3  /media/disk     vfat    defaults,noatime        0 2
/media/disk/swapfile   swap     swap    defaults                0 0

I know that swap on a sd-card isn't the best thing to to, but i didn't
notice any sd-card performance problems. And since i use this my
freerunner didn't freeze at all anymore because i never get close to the
192MB ram even when starting many programs. :)

Ciao,
     Rainer