new version of the openmoko-panel-plugin 0.3

Christian Adams morlac at morlac.de
Tue Sep 23 13:47:50 CEST 2008

Am 23.09.2008 um 11:33 schrieb TeXitoi:

> Christian Adams <morlac at morlac.de> writes:
>
>> the next version is already on it's way to sebastian to package
>> a little gui-update here and there, some notifications (if python-
>> pynotify and notification-mananger(-xfce) installed) and a thumb-
>> friendly way to change lcd-brightness
>> what i will add next would be a configfile where you can toggle which
>> hw-icons you like to get displayed and which not
>>
>> other suggestions what you (the users) want could be placed on this
>> list .. :)
>
> I have sent by accident a mail to Sebastian Ohl instead of here about
> a review of this plugin.  I'll try to say all I have sayed.
>
> This plugin is great, I use it with xfce4-panel and matchbox (not
> XFCE) in user mode.
>
> bugs:
>  - the battery part seems to depend of a battery.py, which is not in
>    the debian package, so I don't now where it came from.

this was a quick and dirty hack to call battery.py from http://
hdr.meetr.de/neo/openmoko/battery/ from panel-plugin
just 'install' the ipk you get there and it should work for now - on
my todo-list is a panel-plugin internal rework of battery.py

>  - The debian package do not have enough dependencies, at least
>    python-gtk is needed.
>  - the usb applet suppose that pushing the button always succeed,
> which
>    is not the case. For example, in user mode, the plugin is not
> allowed
>    to charge module or change the usb mode.

the usb-part has no functionality at all for now in any mode as it is
not yet possible to 'rmmod g_file_storage'
i just build the gui-part to show what i have in mind .. and do the
background-work when the module-handling works as intendet

>  - the panel plugin became unusable after a fso-frameworkd restart.

not testet what's happening when frameworkd restarts - i guess it has
something to do with dbus-things i'm not firm yet

> usability problems:
>  - some part of the plugin is not usable in user mode, for example the
>    new usb applet.

see above

>  - the plugin is composed of too much icons.

also on my todo-list is a config-pane to choose which icons you like
to see and which not

>  - toggling mode of wifi, gsm and gps is too easy and can be done by
>    accident.

this issue is addressed with the version i send to sebastian ohl - he
seems to have no regular internet-connection

> Proposed features:
>  - cobine the status icons into an unique icon (wifi, gps, bt, gsm
>    on/off, maybe usb).  When pushing this icon, a window appear that
>    propose to change the different options (module on/off, usb
> mode, usb
>    gadget).

at least for me i like to just look at my freerunner and see what
status the hardware and so is in as it could also be toggled by other
programs
so combining icons would not be done by me

>  - use a real bar for batterie status instead of lots of icons.

that's the way gtk.StatusIcon works ..

>  - use a bar for gsm instead of a "4 circle bar".

see above - as long as noone tells me how to do a bar in a
gtk.StatusIcon there will be icons ..

>  - print GSM network in the GSM icon instead of the red bars (maybe
>    not a good idea since the name can be long).

i also think this would be too long in most cases (ok - 'O2' might
work but 'T-Mobile D' is way too long)

>  - provide a matchbox-keyboard-toggle compatible with the applet, or
>    give an option to use the AUX button to toggle the keyboard
> directly
>    into the panel plugin.

at the moment the panel-plugin doesn't handle AUX-button ..

> --
> Guillaume Pinot http://www.irccyn.ec-nantes.fr/~pinot/
>
> ``Computers are good at following instructions, but not at reading
> your
> mind.'' -- Donald E. Knuth, the TeXbook
>
> ()  ASCII ribbon campaign      -- Against HTML e-mail
> /\  http://www.asciiribbon.org -- Against proprietary attachments

ciao, morlac
- --
- -----BEGIN CONTACT BLOCK-----