[FDOM] Booting from SD, unable to open an initial console

Neil Jerram neiljerram at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 24 00:51:53 CEST 2008

Hi there, trying to boot from FDOM on my SD card...

So I downloaded the latest rootfs.tar.gz and uImage.bin from
http://compartida.net/openmoko/FDOM/, unpacked the rootfs.tar.gz into
/media/mmcblk0p2, and copied the uImage.bin to /media/card.  I was
previously running Debian on the SD card, so I think my bootloader
should already be correctly configured to boot this.

But the boot comes to a halt with:

VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
Freeing init memory: 128K
Warning: unable to open an initial console.

Then I noticed that the rootfs.tar.gz doesn't actually have sbin/init
in it.  It has sbin/init.sysvinit.  Should sbin/init be a symlink to
that?  Or is there another cause of this problem?

And a related question: when the kernel panics, is there any way of
powering off, other than removing the battery?

Thanks,
     Neil