2008.9 Basic questions

Sean Moss-Pultz sean at openmoko.com
Wed Sep 24 10:20:46 CEST 2008

On 9/21/08 Tom Yates wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Sep 2008, Hire wrote:
>
> > > Instead I find it very usable and better stability. The only
> thing that
> > > I find totally useless is the OM-Locations... we need a very
> usable gps
> > > sotfware like navit ( with complete maps as navteq o telealtas
> and a
> > > routes engine ) so why don't port it onto Openmoko and use it
> instead of
> > > Om-Locations?
>
> i don't think it offers a routing engine, but have you tried
> tangoGPS?  it
> does everything else you want, given the excellent hooks to
> openstreetmap.org.  i am told that others are working on
> general-purpose
> routing engines using PSM data, but i can't find confirmation.
> anyway,
> having a map's the main thing for me.

All

The point of Locations is not to become a routing engine. It's reverse
routing if you will. I'm in a place I want to remember, so I tag that
location. And share it friends. Or friends want to share a location with
me. So they send me a tag that appears on my map. That's it. Very very
simple.

You can read more about it here:

   http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Om_2008.8_Locations

Hope that helps clarify things.