[FDOM] Booting from SD, unable to open an initial console

Neil Jerram neiljerram at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 25 01:13:30 CEST 2008

2008/9/24 Neil Jerram <neiljerram at googlemail.com>:
> 2008/9/24 Andy Green <andy at openmoko.com>:
>>
>> You can get this excitement if your SD card was mounted with "nodev" at
>> unpack as well, usually that is complaining about no /dev/pts/* or other
>> valid /dev bits needed.
>
> Thanks.  I checked that at the time, though (because the Wiki covers
> it), and it didn't have nodev.
>
> I'll try Bill's -p, and report back.

It didn't help.  As just noted in another message, -p is on by default for root.

After a few more experiments, I noticed that in the FDOM
rootfs.tar.gz, all files have owner and group "mutrox".  So in fact -p
is wrong anyway, and one should use -o, so that the unpacked files are
owned by root.

That said, -o still didn't solve my problem.

> (Another factor that may be relevant is that I did the unpacking on
> the FR, from within Qtopia - which means that I was using the Busybox
> implementation of tar.  Perhaps I also need to make sure that I'm
> using a proper tar?)

I have been using full GNU tar today.  No difference, apparently.

I'm pretty much giving up...  If anyone else manages to install FDOM
on SD, and boot from it, please let us know know!

Regards,
    Neil