[FDOM] Booting from SD, unable to open an initial console

Sarton O'Brien roguemoko at roguewrt.org
Thu Sep 25 01:52:57 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 24 September 2008 08:51:53 Neil Jerram wrote:
> Hi there, trying to boot from FDOM on my SD card...
>
> So I downloaded the latest rootfs.tar.gz and uImage.bin from
> http://compartida.net/openmoko/FDOM/, unpacked the rootfs.tar.gz into
> /media/mmcblk0p2, and copied the uImage.bin to /media/card.  I was
> previously running Debian on the SD card, so I think my bootloader
> should already be correctly configured to boot this.
>
> But the boot comes to a halt with:
>
> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
> Freeing init memory: 128K
> Warning: unable to open an initial console.
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

Assuming the content of the archive is ok and you extracted preserving
permissions (tar option 'p') , the only time I've seen a kernel load and the
rootfs fail is with a dodgy SD card or one not properly supported.

Is this the same SD card you were running debian from?

I'd test by extracting an asu release set and see how you fair.

Good luck.

Sarton