[2008.09] resolv.conf

Sarton O'Brien roguemoko at roguewrt.org
Thu Sep 25 03:21:08 CEST 2008

On Thursday 25 September 2008 10:32:00 Joel Newkirk wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 02:01:24 +0300, Flyin_bbb8 <flyin.bbb8 at gmail.com>
>
> wrote:
> >>  In 2008.8 resolvconf didn't populate it
> >> with the nameserver supplied by dhcp when the wifi interface was brought
> >> up.
> >> I don't know if this is still the case in 2008.9.
> >
> > hmm actually it always filled it in for me from DHCP when connectin to
> > wifi
> > using "ifdown eth0 && ifup eth0"  both in 2008.8 and in 2008.9
>
> Both correct, actually, as it DOES fill it in from DHCP (if used)
> connecting wifi with 'ifup eth0', but IIRC resolvconf isn't used to do it,
> it just overwrites resolv.conf.  The idea behind resolvconf (the bin) is
> that IT manages changes to the resolv.conf file, doing things like removing
> eth0-related DNS nameservers when eth0 goes down, going back to
> usb0-related nameservers automatically.  ifup should feed DNS info to
> resolvconf and let it manage.
>
> Right now, I think DNS and default route changes when interfaces change
> up/down need some attention from the 'just-works' dept.

I still don't quite understand this confusion.

udhcpc modifies /var/run/resolv.conf, as do I when needed. Any continually
changing value/file should reside in volatile, in my opinion.

/etc/resolv.conf has, for as long as I've been playing, symlinked to
/var/run/resolv.conf.

Except for the backend stuff not agreeing on this location, I have no issues,
so long as udhcpc is used and an 'ip r d default' is issued prior to
invocation.

If the plan is that these values will be written to the filesystem, I'd say
I'll be modifying mine to the contrary.

Sarton