[2008.9] Font scaling for illume keyboard?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Thu Sep 25 05:11:01 CEST 2008

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 19:28:06 -0700 Charles-Henri Gros <charles-henri.gros
+openmoko at m4x.org> babbled:

> After my iPhone-bearing friends kept telling me the keyboard was too
> small, I decided to create a layout with fewer letters. Each letter
> becomes therefore bigger. However, the representation is the same size.
> Is there a way to allow the font to scale? Is there documentation for
> the .kbd format somewhere? Also, having borders for the keys would be
> useful.
>
> If necessary, I might be able to add that myself, but I'd need at least
> pointers to which part of the code handles this.

no docs on the .kbd format - but it should be pretty obvious. you delcaret a
virtual size (with height) and in that place keys at x,y coords of a particular
size (width height) that have letters in them. if u didnt reduce the virtual
size - and just removed keys, then you simply are going to see missing keys.
you need to shuffle things around or reduce virtual res so things scale up.

the font size itself is defined in the theme - so u'll have to modify that. as
for borders - theme as well.

of course om doesnt have this code yet (and likely wont for a while as at least
in asu (2008) this stuff will break their designs/ideas and as i change more
more will change and so either  their designs will ned to adapt to e/illume
development or they will need to never update or write a wm etc. of their own:

http://www.rasterman.com/files/illume-01.ogg
http://www.rasterman.com/files/illume-02.ogg
http://www.rasterman.com/files/illume-03.ogg

all of that is the same core code in illum,/e (with a few fixes/tweaks) but
just a different theme. also you see the newest "scalable" support in e that
makes it adapt themes/fonts/layout do screen dpi (or a custom scaling factor
you can set). so theme can change a huge amount of stuff. i'm not finished
with this stuff - lots of work to go.

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com