[2008.9] Font scaling for illume keyboard?

Charles-Henri Gros charles-henri.gros+openmoko at m4x.org
Thu Sep 25 05:18:20 CEST 2008

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 19:28:06 -0700 Charles-Henri Gros <charles-henri.gros
> +openmoko at m4x.org> babbled:
>
>> After my iPhone-bearing friends kept telling me the keyboard was too
>> small, I decided to create a layout with fewer letters. Each letter
>> becomes therefore bigger. However, the representation is the same size.
>> Is there a way to allow the font to scale? Is there documentation for
>> the .kbd format somewhere? Also, having borders for the keys would be
>> useful.
>>
>> If necessary, I might be able to add that myself, but I'd need at least
>> pointers to which part of the code handles this.
>
> no docs on the .kbd format - but it should be pretty obvious. you delcaret a
> virtual size (with height) and in that place keys at x,y coords of a particular
> size (width height) that have letters in them. if u didnt reduce the virtual
> size - and just removed keys, then you simply are going to see missing keys.
> you need to shuffle things around or reduce virtual res so things scale up.

I was able to change the layout to my liking, but things like "fuzz" and
"type" are not quite obvious.

> the font size itself is defined in the theme - so u'll have to modify that. as
> for borders - theme as well.

Any pointers for how to do that? Ideally I'd like the font size to
depend on the layout but it looks like it's not possible. But borders
would be a good start.

> of course om doesnt have this code yet (and likely wont for a while as at least
> in asu (2008) this stuff will break their designs/ideas and as i change more
> more will change and so either  their designs will ned to adapt to e/illume
> development or they will need to never update or write a wm etc. of their own:
>
> http://www.rasterman.com/files/illume-01.ogg
> http://www.rasterman.com/files/illume-02.ogg
> http://www.rasterman.com/files/illume-03.ogg

This looks awesome! I'm looking forward to being able to use that. If
there's a (reasonably simple) way to get some of this to work with
2008.9, I'd love to hear of it.

--
Charles-Henri