[2008.9] Getting rid of the bottom bar

Shawn "prjktdtnt" Thompson mokowatch at projektenterprises.com
Thu Sep 25 05:44:01 CEST 2008

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 19:26:02 -0700 Charles-Henri Gros <charles-henri.gros
> +openmoko at m4x.org> babbled:
>

>> The bottom bar is pretty useless and takes up valuable real estate. Is
>> there a way to disable it? (I already managed to remove the installer
>> from it)
>>

> you would need to "hide" the theme elements for it but that wont make it not
> use space as the space is always allocated for it. this is what om's design
> wanted. they want those 3 boxes at the bottom of every screen. its part of the
> design.
>
> as such i should make all these things optional and probably into gadgets - i
> just didnt have the time to before to do it properly.

With it being open I would have loved to have seen them modularize the
entirety of it (including top/bottom bars. Maybe I want to move the menu
to the bottom and remove the triple-box all-together? I'd like to see
how to remove the bottom bar and use the extra space for everyday uses.
Also illume-config doesn't allow me to set terminal keyboard as the
default for texts so if the keyboard crashes (I'm using FDOM which is
modified 2008.X) then it goes back to default instead of terminal.

-Shawn