[2008.X] Flashing the kernel live

roguemoko at roguewrt.org roguemoko at roguewrt.org
Thu Sep 25 12:20:15 CEST 2008

Kelvie Wong wrote:

> On Wednesday, September 24, 2008 23:57:34 Tore Martin Hagen wrote:
>
> > Sarton O'Brien wrote:

> (i.e. with

> Or do

> > > opkg upgrade manages this so I'd say you could ... using a tool
> like mtd
>
> > > or such, I really don't how, just that it does :)
>

> > I don't have my phone right here, but you can do a
>
> > cat /proc/mtd
>
> > and it will list out which mtd partition that contains the kernel. Then
>
> > you do
>
> > flasheraseall /dev/mtdX
>
> > cat yourUimage.bin > /dev/mtdX

[...snip...]

> Any ideas? Do I need to do something special before I can directly
> write to /dev/mtd3?
>
> In the meantime I'm going to just flash in the u-boot...
>
> --
>
> Kelvie Wong

I've not tried cat before but have used mtd-utils. Sorry, that's what I
meant before. It's available at least in the testing repo but I've not
tested on the freerunner. There seems to minor limitations on what some
of the system tools are capable of, which is pretty typical of embedded
systems. Maybe the packaged tools will help.

Good luck :)

Sarton