[2008.09] resolv.conf

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Thu Sep 25 13:50:51 CEST 2008

El día Wednesday, September 24, 2008 a las 11:33:07PM -0400, Joel Newkirk escribió:

> The program "resolvconf" is intended to work as follows: When an interface
> comes up, resolvconf should be called to "-a" add new nameserver(s)
> associated with the network connection on that interface.  When an
> interface goes down resolvconf should get a "-d" delete nameserver(s) for
> the specified interface.
>
> The program resolvconf itself is supposed to make any/all changes to
> resolv.conf (wherever the actual file resides - the debian standard
> location is /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf, actually) NOT the script or
> subsystem or network manager or whatever handles the up/down.  Based on its
> configuration (notably /etc/resolvconf/interface-order - debian location)
> it uses whatever nameserver settings are needed, but remembers the others.
>
> So for example, usb0 coming up stuffs 192.168.0.201 in as nameserver, but
> does it by executing resolvconf.  Then eth0 comes up and tells resolvconf
> its nameserver(s) - resolvconf decides which to use, likely eth0 will be
> set a higher priority than usb0.  Later eth0 goes down.  Now resolvconf
> automatically restores the nameserver settings from usb0.  (presuming it is
> still up)  If usb0 went down already, but ppp0 over gprs came up in the
> meantime, nameservers for ppp0 go live.

Hello Joel,

How is that exactly supposed to work for the usb0 interface? this always
has the static IP 192.168.0.202 (coded in /etc/network/interfaces);
I've setup in my FreeBSD laptop a DHCP server to offer the IP addr of
DNS with this config:

# This is a very basic subnet declaration.

subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
   range 192.168.0.202 192.168.0.202;
   option domain-name "Sisis.de";
   option domain-name-servers 10.0.1.201;
}

when the interface cdce0 in FreeBSD comes up (on plug'in of USB cable),
the devd(8) daemon assigns the corresponding hardcoded addr
192.168.0.200 and as well launches the DHCP server for this interface;
but there is no DHCP request visible;

when I now go to the FreeRunner and launch there a dhcclient for usb0
then the result is (of course):

Sep 25 13:47:15 rebelion dhcpd: Abandoning IP address 192.168.0.202: pinged before offer
Sep 25 13:47:20 rebelion dhcpd: Reclaiming abandoned lease 192.168.0.202.

because the DHCP server sees that the IP 192.168.0.202 can be ping'ed
through the interface cdce0;

How this should work correctly for the usb0 interface in the FreeRunner?

Thx

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz