[2008.X] Flashing the kernel live

roguemoko at roguewrt.org roguemoko at roguewrt.org
Thu Sep 25 16:28:54 CEST 2008

Nicola Mfb wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 2:24 PM, Jose Luis Perez Diez
> <jluis at escomposlinux.org <mailto:jluis at escomposlinux.org>> wrote:
>
>     El Thursday, 25 de September de 2008 12:10:10
>     roguemoko at roguewrt.org <mailto:roguemoko at roguewrt.org> va
>     escriure:
>     > > Does opkg recognize if the system was booted from flash or
>     from the sd
>     > > card before update the kernel?
>     >
>     > Not to my knowledge, I make sure to rm /etc/default/flashkernel
>     before
>     > an opkg upgrade. It's autocreated after the upgrade so there's
>     probably
>     > a flag somewhere, I really should find it :)
>
>     When the file isn't found the install process "touch"
>     /etc/default/flashkernel creating the file.
>
>     There is a best hack for it from Stefano Cavallari posted in this list
>     (http://lists.openmoko.org/nabble.html#nabble-td832513) is better
>     way just
>     do:
>     rm /etc/default/flashkernel
>     mkdir /etc/default/flashkernel
>

> Ok this will prevent that if opkg is launched form a system booted on
> the SD it will not flash the kernel, leaving the flash os ok, but is
> the SD upgrade safe? or may the upgraded modules not match the SD
> kernel image?

Depends how you boot. I boot directly (well via symlink) the kernel in
/boot, so this works fine. If you have a vfat partition then you have to
copy the kernel over from /boot and rename it. That's why I switched to
a single ext2 partition, much easier to maintain, especially with
testing's regular updates.

Sarton