kobodeluxe - how do you quit?

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Fri Sep 26 07:46:37 CEST 2008

On Fri, 2008-09-26 at 13:15 +1000, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 17:14:57 +0800 "W.Kenworthy" <billk at iinet.net.au> babbled:
>
> > I installed the kobodeluxe game for the kid, but we cant figure out how
> > to exit it :(
> >
> > Even if you go through 5 new lives and get the menu, hitting quit with a
> > stylus just takes you back into the game.  Ended up removing the
> > battery.
> >
> > How?
>
> you remove the battery. this is basically a kobodeluxue issue - it provides no
> way to quit without a real physical keyboard. as it also asks to be fullscreen
> and has no code to request a virtual keyboard - it's basically painted itself
> into a corner on the freerunner. it needs a patch to have a "exit the program"
> menu/button on the screen. as the buttons on the machine (you only have 2) are
> purposed for other things but default - you're out of luck. technically e
> supports bindings so you could re-bind the power button to "close" (close an
> app) which would make sense, but then you lose power for "instant suspend". it
> could also display a menu.. but no menu exists that would cover both powerdown,
> suspend and close app - but it could be done. as such code needs to be put
> somewhere. in this case it's definitely bad ui design for kobo on such a
> platform. yes the wm could do more to work around such things.

Thought that would be the answer :(

An idea would be a config dialog to repurpose the aux button.  I dont
use the lock function (the button sucks as a regular use button anyway)
and could perhaps be used to kill the top application in the viewing
stack as 2007.2 power button did.  Its not only kobo which has problems
like this as a couple of times I have had a unresponsive display
probably caused by dialogs not on top.

BillK

Home in Perth!