Debian fails to boot after some reboots

Thomas B. tommy.b at gmx.net
Fri Sep 26 13:51:09 CEST 2008

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 10:29:39AM +0200, Sven Bretfeld wrote:
> Hi list-members
>
> "Craig B. Allen" <cba at knodal.com> writes:
>
> > There are some workarounds that seem to prevent this from happening,
> > but I don't know whether they apply to Qtopia.
> > See http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/1802
>
> Strange enough Qtopia seems "to know" that suspending is not good for
> the SD-card. I don't know why, but every time I have a working Debian
> system on the SD card, Qtopia refuses to suspend automatically (i.e.
> the powermanagement settings are ignored). After I forced the first
> suspend by 'apm -s', everything works like normal again. But then, the
> SD card's boot partition is corrupted.

I guess what happens is that Qtopia starts scanning all the files on the
SD card. It is designed to be run from internal flash with your MP3s on
the SD card, so it scans all the files there and makes a database of
them. With a Debian system on SD, this probably takes hours, and during
that Qtopia probably refuses to suspend. You can turn this feature off
in a file called Storage.conf lying around somewhere, IIRC.

HTH,
Thomas