[2008.9] Wifi very unreliable

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Tue Sep 30 11:06:28 CEST 2008

Hello,

I'm using the Wifi-method described in

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_FreeRunner_Wifi#Using_WPA_and_.2Fetc.2Fnetwork.2Finterfaces

i.e. having a working config file /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
for all my known access points (which is just a copy of that I'm using
daily and stable in my two FreeBSD based laptops); and I'm trying to bring
up the eth0 with

# ifup eth0

this works very unreliable; in (let's say) 8 of 10 cases it can't
associate to the AP, even not after fresh re-boots and independently if
the AP at my home works with WEP or in my office with WPA;

what can I do? is someone willing to look into the debug output of the
wpa_supplicant? or do I need somehow an update in the kernel drivers?

I've installed as well lint-wifi; this does not even see the AP next
door and to which I'm now after 2-3 tries connected too; strange, isn't
it? there must be something broken in kernel land, I think;

or should I file a bug track report?

Thx for a helping hand

	matthias

--