Openmoko for blind users?

Christ van Willegen cvwillegen at
Wed Apr 1 07:45:04 CEST 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 6:54 PM, Sam Kuper <sam.kuper at> wrote:
> 2009/3/31 Crane, Matthew <mcrane03 at>
>> Seems to me OM would be a good platform to quickly implement something
>> like this on a working phone.
>> n-puts-braille-at-the-fingertips.html
> That's a really nice start to making touchscreen devices friendlier for
> blind users. It'd be great for this to be ported to OpenMoko!

One of the more obvious problems, and it shows in the article, is that
Braille is 2 dimensional, and the pulses are only one-dimensional.

Perhaps having an interface with morse code could help here.

Ofcourse, you can do both the '1-dimensional braille' and morse and
let the user select. But 1 character in 1.25 seconds sounds like a
long time! Morse is (can be) much quicker than that.

Christ van Willegen
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0