date and GPS related questions

William Kenworthy billk at
Thu Apr 2 01:24:21 CEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-01 at 18:15 +0200, Daniel Willmann wrote:
> Hi,
> Well, timekeeping is independent from that. The UTC time will stay
> right no matter what timezone you're in.

Unfortunately it doesnt - wanders all over the place, usually lagging.
If I notice it, I usually find has overwritten my changes to
the ntp reference (a local timeserver helps a lot - but its still not
great).  Depending on where I am connected to, it may or may not see the
site in Germany, which may or may not be extremely slow/lagged.  If it
gets too far out, you have to manually set it.  It looks like it often
just "refuses" to work.  Nothing in the logs.  I also noticed yesterday
it says "checking every 600 seconds" - then it went off and started
checking just over every 60 seconds.