Sean's speech at ESC about making a 3G device

Arigead captain.deadly at
Thu Apr 2 23:25:51 CEST 2009

Justyn Butler wrote:
> A couple of days ago Sean made a speech at ESC.
> For anyone interested it is described here, with a video excerpt:
> He talks about the level of freedom the Freerunner offers people
> wanting to create a customized phone or those who want a development
> phone.
> He also explains what it would take to put 3G in the phones, saying
> that they'd do it (but the 3G part would be closed) if a customer put
> in a large enough order (ie 50,000 units).
> Justyn.
> ps. At this point I'd like to say that I'd seriously consider paying
> up to $200 extra for a 3.5G-enabled OpenMoko phone (which, per the
> speech, is what it would cost). But I definitely can't order 50,000 of
> them.

I seem to remember last year a Canadian company had made a spacer that
fitted between the phone and the back cover to make the FR something
like 5mm fatter. Into the extra space they'd put a Digital TV Receiver
and displayed TV on the FR screen.

If you could get a hold of the plastic spacer could you then take a 3.5G
USB Dongle and put that into the space? I think that 3.5G USB Dongles
are supported by the usb serial option driver. I've got a:

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 12d1:1003 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E220
HSDPA Modem / E270 HSDPA/HSUPA Modem

plugged into this Ubuntu laptop. I did plug it into the FR running SHR
and it all worked without a problem once I'd  created the necessary /etc
files. Is HSDPA 3.5G? Maybe it's only 3G I can't keep up with my G's.

Anyhow HSDPA Dongle worked on the FR if that's of any help.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -