Sean's speech at ESC about making a 3G device

Matthias Apitz guru at
Fri Apr 3 10:06:26 CEST 2009

El día Friday, April 03, 2009 a las 09:48:51AM +0200, Sander escribió:

> What about a FR without 3G but with a 'normal' size USB2.0 port in which
> you can plug a 3G dongle?
> This has several advantages:
> o FR would be more free
> o FR would be less expensive
> o only one expensive heavy duty 3G contract for both your FR and your laptop
> o upgrading of 3G without the need for upgrading the FR
> FR would still have GPRS in this scenario.
> The USB port would be on the edge of the FR where we find the AUX button
> now. This would make the dongle point more or less upwards in both
> landscape and portrait mode.
> Related to this I'm looking for a converter between the small USB port
> on the FR and a 3G USB dongle (or a USB keyboard). I've searched but not
> found any. Any tips?

Interesting. I have an USB dongle Huawei E220 which I'm using for my
EeePC laptop to go to Internet via UMTS. This E220 is a small puck with
a small USB connector, comes with a short (10cm) cable to connect it to
a normal USB port of a laptop. I was already thinking in buying a short
cable with small USB connectors on both ends (or even just something like
a stick having small USB connectors on both ends without any cable) to
connect this E220 as well to my FR and use the pppd in the FR...

Matthias Apitz
Manager Technical Support - OCLC GmbH
Gruenwalder Weg 28g - 82041 Oberhaching - Germany
t +49-89-61308 351 - f +49-89-61308 399 - m +49-170-4527211
e <matthias.apitz at> - w